When the doors to Guelph General Hospital were opened on August 16, 1875, the hospital had 12 beds, a small infectious room and a dispensary. A superintendent and two nurses provided care, as well as working in the kitchen, housekeeping, switchboard and laundry.
Today, GGH is a dynamic, comprehensive acute care facility providing a full range of services to the 200,000 residents of Guelph and Wellington County. Services include 24-hour emergency coverage, advanced technology and diagnostic support, and specialty programs such as being the Regional provider for general vascular surgery and a designated Provincial Centre of Excellence for Bariatric Surgery.
GGH is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors.
Number of Beds
- Intensive Care and Step Down – 24
- Paediatrics – 8
- Medicine – 96
- Surgery – 66
- Obstetrics – 22
Total Acute Care Beds – 216
The hospital employs over 1,700 staff. More than 250 Hospital volunteers contribute 1,500 hours of work per month. Volunteers operate in a variety of patient care and support service areas and organize fundraising activities.