Blood clots in the deep veins or in the lungs can be a common complication in hospitalized patients. Called Venous Thromboembolism (VTE), there are many things you can to do help prevent them.
- Ask your doctor or nurse what is being done to reduce your risk of getting a blood clot?
- Ask if you should be given a medication to prevent unwanted clotting in the blood
- Resume normal physical activity and walking as soon as your doctor permits it
- Drink plenty of water to keep hydrated
- Report any chest pain, shortness of breath, pain or swelling in your leg to a member of your health care team