February 24, 2022– Guelph General Hospital’s Board of Directors have announced that Marianne Walker, President and CEO, has decided to retire by the end of the year.
“The board is so grateful for Marianne’s leadership over these past eight years,” says Board Chair Kathy Wilkie. “She is an exceptional leader with a track record for delivering on results year over year. We are thankful for Marianne’s remarkable vision, innovation, compassion and commitment to providing high quality care for our patients and community. Her enthusiasm and leadership will be deeply missed.”
Marianne joined Guelph General Hospital (GGH) as President and CEO in 2014 and has led the hospital with vision and an unwavering focus on safety. During her tenure, there were many challenges met and accomplishments achieved:
- Highest possible standing from Accreditation Canada not once but twice;
- Encouraging patient and family engagement in all aspects of the hospital’s work;
- Creating a culture of continuous quality improvement with a relentless focus on patient and staff safety;
- Providing steady and stellar leadership through the COVID-19 pandemic, saving lives;
- Providing leadership instrumental in the creation and growth of the Guelph Wellington Ontario Health Team;
- Fostering many trusting and collaborative relationships with community providers.
In addition to her local achievements, Marianne also contributed at provincial and national level as a past Board member of the Ontario Hospital Association and the Change Foundation, and current Board Chair of the Canadian College of Health Leaders.
In her resignation letter, Marianne wrote, “Throughout my career, I have had the honour and privilege to meet so many wonderful people who have enriched my life. Working with patients and families, staff, professional staff, volunteers, donors, community partners and Board members, I’m so proud of what we have accomplished together.”
GGH is well-positioned for the future, says Wilkie. It is known for the quality of care provided by caring staff. The Board will strike a CEO Search Committee to initiate a national search for a new GGH President and CEO. “Marianne has laid a strong foundation and we will search for a dynamic, visionary individual to build on that success as GGH continues to meet our growing community’s healthcare needs.”
Marianne has agreed to continue her role as President and CEO until a new one is found. Plans to honour her will be shared closer to her retirement date.