The Department of Hospital Medicine at the Guelph General Hospital welcomes interest from potential recruits who are interested in joining a dynamic, collegial and quality-focused group of Hospitalists, on a full-time basis. Our program is growing, with 2 vacancies to fill starting August 2022.
Our team is comprised of 15 full-time members, 6 community HOC members (who provide additional weekend support), and a growing locum group of 15 members (who provide general relief year-round).
- Excellent remuneration (very competitive flat stipend for daytime work, and HOC stipend + 100% FFS billings for night work), with NO overhead (Hospital handles billings at no cost)
- Flexible scheduling, with generous time away built into our cyclic schedule
A full-time line consists of a repeating 4-week cycle consisting of:
- 2 weeks of days (including 1 weekend) [8am-5pm]
- 1 week of 2-3 nights (sometimes less, when locums relieve us) [5pm-8am]
- 1 week off
- If a member wants more work, this can almost always be accommodated
- If a member wants more time off, they can give away some of their work week(s) to those who want more work, or leverage our locum group
- If a member wants to group work weeks together to then allow grouped weeks of time off, they can trade within the group
- Electronic charting & order-entry (PatientKeeper), integrated with Meditech & PACS systems
- 24/7 support from Internal Medicine, ICU, and Surgical services
- Teaching opportunities – We are a teaching site for McMaster University Medical School, accommodating medical students & Family Medicine residents year-round (for both core rotations, as well as electives). Faculty appointment can be arranged for interested members, but isn’t required to offer clinical teaching within our department. Our department has been VERY highly rated by medical learners for over 10 years.
- Opportunities (and encouragement) to pursue Quality Initiatives and hospital committees
- Independent practice license from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario and certification with the College of Family Physicians or Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Hospitalist experience is considered an asset, but is not mandatory (new grads welcome!)
- Excellent teamwork & communication skills (to work well with our interdisciplinary team, and effectively communicate with our patients & their families)
- The ability to start in August of 2022, in a full-time capacity (as described above)
We are not actively recruiting for locum physicians at this time.
- Our team provides general medical care for stable adult inpatients
We do not provide care to Pediatric nor ICU patients
- We manage an average of 125-145 patients across our 216-bed hospital
- 7.5 FTEs are staffed weekdays (increasing to 8.5 this summer)
- Target census is 15-18 acute-equivalent patients
- 5 FTEs are staffed on STAT and weekend days
- 1 FTE is staffed on nights
- Responsible for admissions from ER, as well as ward calls for patients on our service.
An Internal Medicine Admissionist model is being discussed, with a potential start this summer; this would result in the night Hospitalist focusing mainly on ward issues (plus admissions handed over from the daytime team; NOT admissions from ER).
- The night Hospitalist is expected to be in-house until midnight, then may choose to do the rest of the shift from home (so long as they are within a 20 minute drive from the hospital)
- A dedicated and well-appointed Hospitalist call room is available if desired (most choose to stay in in-house throughout their shift)
Guelph is a beautiful and vibrant university city of over 135,000 located within close proximity of Toronto, London and Hamilton. Associated with one of the fastest growing economic regions in Canada, Guelph offers a wide variety of educational, cultural, recreational and sporting activities.
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit their resume & an expression of interest via email to:
Dr. Marcel Parent, Chief of Hospital Medicine
Guelph General Hospital
We look forward to hearing from you!